About this Show

Anderson Cooper 360

Blade Runner Murder or Mistake News/Business. (2013) (CC)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 9, Reeva Steenkamp 8, Garth 6, Bjorn 5, Neutrogena 4, Advair 4, South Africa 3, Boris 3, Pistorius 3, Vatican 3, Warfarin 3, London 2, Oscar 2, Mississippi 2, Bob 2, Soups 2, Geico 2, Valentine 2, Nike 2, Facebook 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Anderson Cooper 360    Blade Runner Murder or Mistake  
    News/Business.  (2013)  (CC)  

    February 24, 2013
    2:00 - 3:00am PST  

2:00am
[heart beating] [heartbeat continues] [heartbeat, music playing louder]
2:01am
♪ i'm feeling better since you know me... ♪ announcer: this song was created with heartbeats of children in need. find out how it can help frontline health workers bring hope to millions of children at everybeatmatters.org. look at this. this can't be real, right? look at that. boom! a cheerleader at a small school in mississippi did that amazing flip shot from half-court. and she sinks it. it was pure luck because we know no girl can make a shot like that. just kidding. ashlee arnau, congratulations, she's a junior at william carey university in hattiesburg, mississippi. i'm don lemon. see you tomorrow night.
2:02am
an inspiring hero. a beautiful model. we start this morning with a shocking valentine's day tragedy. >> a nation in shock. >> it's devastating, tragic. >> the world renowned olympian oscar pistorius has been charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend. >> for a week, the world has watched the triumphant story of oscar pistorius turn to tragedy. just last summer, this was pistorius, the first amputee ever to compete in the olympic games. and a source of enormous pride for a sports crazed nation. today, a totally different scene. >> yesterday we talled him a hero and the following day, people say nah, he should just be put to the sword. >> and a flood of confusing detail. >> a lot of speculation. >> the neighbors did hear speculation.
2:03am
>> he thought she was a burglar. >> but everyone agrees on a single tragic fact -- on valentine's day, oscar miss tor yum shot and killed his girlfriend reeva steenkamp, leaving her family without a daughter and a nation without its hero. hello, i'm randi kaye. "blade runner -- murder or mistake?" millions of feel have been asking those key questions, rivetted by every detail since that dilling. those details emerged in sharp relief during a four-day court proceeding to determine whether the blade runner, oscar pistorius remains free until trial. he will. but for three of those four days it was hard to tell and impossible to turn away. in this hour, we're going to walk you through those days and what lies ahead. we'll show you the evidence and lay out the case with our legal
2:04am
and forensic experts. first, a look at how we got here, including the rare legal decision to introduce an account of that fateful morning in oscar pistorius' own words. >> it was february 14, valentine's day, long before dawn. and something awful was about to happen inside the home of track star oscar pistorius. >> by 4:15 p.m., the lead investigator was would arrive to find pistorius' girlfriend dead, killed by three gunshots that pistorius had fired. was it murder or a terrible mistake? we may never know the real story, but oscar pistorius wants us to know his story, detailed in this rare affidavit he gave the court. hours before the fatal shooting, pistorius says it was a normal evening at home for him and his
2:05am
girlfriend reeva steenkamp. a quiet dinner, then tv dinner in bed for him and yoga for her. we were deeply in love and i could not be happier. i know she felt the same way. she had given me a present for valentine's day but asked me to open it only the next day. according to the affidavit, he and reeva fell asleep. then suddenly, hours later pistorius jolted awake. his valentine's celebration was about to take a deadly turn. i woke up, went on to the balcony to bring the fan in and close the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. i heard a noise in the bathroom and realized that someone was in the bathroom. i felt a sense of terror rushing over me. there are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and i knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside.
2:06am
although i did not have my prosthetic legs on, i had mobility on my stumps. pistorius said he was too afraid to turn on the light. i grabbed my 9 millimeter pistol from undneath my bed. he screamed at the intruders to get out. he told the court, and made his way through the pitch dark to the bathroom. i realized the intruder was in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and i did not hear anyone in the bathroom. i heard movement i side the toilet. and then i shot at the toilet door and shouted at reeva to phone the police. >> you say hey, honey did you hear that? you do that first before you fire shots. you protect them. you stay here. i'm going to go check.
2:07am
but none of that happened. instead he claims he jumped right out of bed, got his gun and fired right into the toilet. >> when the shooting stopped, pistorius writes i moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bam room entrance. everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and i was still too scared to switch on a light. reeva was not responding. pistorius made his way to the bed where he thought he would find reeva. when i reached the bed, i realized reeva was not in the bed. that's when it dawned on me it could have been reev in the toilet. i tried to open the door but it was locked. i rushed back to the bed and opened the sliding door exiting on to the balcony and yelled for help. >> an investigator told the court a witness heard gunshots, a woman screaming, then more
2:08am
gunshots. by the time it was over, reeva steenkamp was fatally wounded behind the bathroom door. she had been struck three times in the hip, elbow and in the head. next pistorius said he put on his prosthetic legs and ran back to the bathroom. when he couldn't kick the door open, he said he used his cricket bat to break open the door to the toilet. there, he writes, he found reeva slumped over but alive. 3is tor yus said he frantically made calls for help, first to his estate supervisor then paramedics, all before picking up reeva's bloody body. as pistorius tells it, i battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. then he writes he phoned netcare
2:09am
for help and unloeked the front door. pistorius had been told ottawa to wait for an ambulance, so he returned to the bathroom and picked reeva up. i carried her down stairs, he writes. i tried to render the assistance to reev that i could, but she died in my arms. it was over, and oscar pistorius was responsible. >> he's in extreme shock. and so he's grieving and he's -- and i don't expect him to get over it soon. >> prosecutors say this was no mistake. they tell a tale of premeditated murder, a boyfriend fuelled by rage after a long night of arguing. a woman vulnerable, pistorius calculating an angle, faking aim at the toilet where reeva steenkamp was and firing.
2:10am
>> the defense is not going to dispute that he shot through the bathroom door and he's not going to dispute the angle of the bullets was what it was. it showed that the trajectory showed it was downward and to the left, which the prosecution says is significant, because it's as though he's aiming at someone on the toilet as opposed to someone cowering or hiding in the bathroom itself. >> still so many unanswered questions, such as how did reeva enter the bathroom unnoticed? pistorius' defense lawyer believes she slipped into the bathroom when pistorius first got up to close the balcony door. and why would reeva lock the door? was she trying to protect herself from pistorius or an intruder? pistorius' defense team argues she locked the door only because she heard pistorius yelling at an intruder to leave? and what about the two bloody
2:11am
cell phones found inside the bathroom? how did they get there? so much evidence to unravel and an investigation far from over that may have been bungled from the start. pistorius' defense lawyer says his team found a bullet in the toilet that police had missed. and it turns out investigators entered pistorius' home without wearing protective foot covers simply because they had run out of them. >> by the time the investigators got there, there was the lawyer even the brother were already there. so that scene was heavily contaminated before the investigators could secure the scene itself. one of the things is taking a look at what most investigators do is what's the residue? what kind of hairs or fibers are there. was any type of evidence disturbed?
2:12am
and so it's going to complicate their investigation in a fairly large way. >> an investigation that's already been complicated by celebrity, publicity, and oscar pistorius' odd offering to the court about his girlfriend's last breath. >> in granting bail, about $112,000, by the way, the judge took care and about two hours to explain his decision. he barred cameras from the court, so we only have audio, as he laid out points of the law and raised questions of his own about each side, including this -- >> i have difficulty appreciating why the accused did not ascertain the whereabouts of his girlfriend. i also have difficulty coming to the fact that the accused didn't verify who was in the toilet. i also have difficulty appreciating why the deceased would not have screamed from the
2:13am
toilet. i have dpifltty understanding why the deceased and the accused would not of like mind in those circumstances escape through the bedroom door then venture into the toilet? >> the judge did not consider those questions reason enough to deny bail, but if this case does go to trial, they will certainly come up again. i talked about it with robin who's been covering this case from the beginning. robin, such a dramatic bail hearing. take us inside. what was it like? >> i think the word is claustrophobic. it was a small courtroom, far too snaul for this kind of case. it was very hot. often, you know, we found ourselves wiping away beads of sweat. and then again, this sort of palpable sense of tension that kept on building up. and particularly when that magistrate made that final exhaustively long final judgment.
2:14am
>> over the course of thf case so far, we' seen many faces of oscar pistorius. we've seen him go from distraught and emotional to stoic and withdrawn. what was he like at the bail hearing? >> definitely is a sense that oscar has withdrawn into himself. whether this is a combination of shock, of exhaustion of, uh yo know, a mental state that is perhaps not entirely healthy at the moment. but this is a man who really, you know, i think is coming to terms with the fact that he did something absolutely terrible. >> certainly a lot of attention paid to this case. you see the cameras in that courtroom every day. the media chased the car carrying pistorius as it left the courthouse, is that right? >> there's been such a media interest in this. the chasing i think that was slightly disturbing because it looked like there were motorcycle riders following him basically to the house where
2:15am
he's going to live. so there was that sort of sense that a pack was hunting him. and whether that's right or not, ones vously, you know, you've got to skrk well, this is a man who has admitted to murdering his girlfriend on valentine's day. there's a huge media attention. >> he went back to his uncle's house after the bail hearing. what happens now? >> in terms of what's next, he's got to prepare for a monumental, life-changing trial. he's got a very smart team of people around him. this is literally going to be a day job. whether he starts training again, that's also another question. but let's not forget reeva. the drama, all of the chaos, all of the twists and turns and bombshells that we've seen in court, i mean, just remember sitting quietly in a small seaside town in port elizabeth is a family that's broken as well. >> absolutely. thank you very much. ahead, answers to the questions everyone is asking --
2:16am
what bail justified? does the defendant's account make any sense? what happens at trial and will it even make it there? the best legal and forensic experts around here to debate the case next. and later, the promising life cut short. remembering reeva steenkamp as "ac! 360" continues. ed double miles m their capital one venture card to fly home for the big family reunion. you must be garth's father? hello. mother. mother! traveling is easy with the venture card because you can fly any airline anytime. two words. double miles! this guy can act. wanna play dodge rock? oh, you guys! and with double miles you can actually use, you never miss the fun. beard growing contest and go! ♪ i win! what's in your wallet?
2:17am
for the things you can't wash, freshen them with febreze. and leaves a light, fresh scent. febreze, breathe happy. ♪ i don't wanna be right [ record scratch ] what?! it's not bad for you. it just tastes that way. [ female announcer ] honey nut cheerios cereal -- heart-healthy, whole grain oats. you can't go wrong loving it. heart-healthy, whole grain oats. so if ydead battery,t tire, need a tow or lock your keys in the car, geico's emergency roadside assistance is there 24/7. oh dear, i got a flat tire. hmmm. uh... yeah, can you find a take where it's a bit more dramatic on that last line, yeah? yeah i got it right here. someone help me!!! i have a flat tire!!! well it's good... good for me. what do you think? geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. every signature is unique, and every fingerprint unrepeatable.
2:18am
at sleep number, we recognize the incredible diversity of human beings, and know that up there with your social security number and your phone number is another important number. your sleep number. so we created the extraordinarily comfortable sleep number experience. it's a collection of innovations designed around a bed with dualair technology that allows you to adjust to the support your body needs - each of your bodies. and you'll only find it at a sleep number store. where right now, during the ultimate sleep number event, queen mattresses start at just $599 . and you can save an astonishing 50% on our innovative sleep number limited edition bed. final days! ends sunday! you won't find your sleep number setting at an ordinary mattress store. you'll find it exclusively at a sleep number store. sleep number. comfort...individualized.
2:19am
the whole world is watching this case. whether or not it weighed on the judge is hard tor say. what's clear, though, is he explained his decision with great care and at great reng length. you heard a moment ago raising questions about the defense. here he lays out certain challenges for the prosecution. >> there are no witnesses. the only person who knows so much what happened is the accused. when we're dealing with zefld, pieces of puzzle need to be put together. by the time the state is ready or trial ready have more pieces of the puzzle. >> a lot to talk about starting with the drama around this bail hearing.
2:20am
the burden that pistorius had to meet was a tough burden. but they focused a lot on the issue of was there really a risk of flight? and it was very hard for the prosecution to argue seriously that oscar pistorius was going to flee, without a passport, being a celebrity, having a conspicuous disability, the idea that he was going to plea was
2:21am
implausible. that was the key to him getting bail. >> and mark, this may be the one thing you agree. you had predicted. this you also said he would be granted bail? >> right. i thought the magistrate telegraphed it early on in this hearing. i think the big problem for the prosecution is they overplayed their hand. if they had gone in and handled this differently, they might have been able to get this magistrate not to get him bail. but i just think they misplayed this entire hearing. number one, so overstating the flight risk and coming in with this idea that somehow he's got a house here, accounts there. and when then when he's cross-examined on that. well, where's your evidence of the house. he said i don't know, i heard it somewhere. he may be one of the fastest humans in the world, but he's never going to escape the tabloid media on this case. >> kelly, you're an expert in
2:22am
south african law. did anything surprise you? the magistrate really took a long, circuitous route before announcing his ruling. is that par for the course? >> certainly not for bail proceedings. it was an exceptionally long decision he rendered. i think he knew how much was at stake. he was really considering what kind of measured decision he had made and how he reached hids decision. i think his decision is the correct decision. and defensible. >> and the bail itself, $120,000 says low certainly in terms of the american system. what do you make of that? >> a million rand is a fortune for many south africans.
2:23am
it's certainly not an unreasonable amount from a local perspective. >> the lead detective was taken to task on how he collected evidence. that detective was removed from the case. how big a setback dune that is for the prosecution? how much will this case depend on forensics. >> this we will be able to tell whether the evidence is consistent with the affidavit of mr. pistorius or not. that will talk to his credibility. i think the crime scene work is very crucial, because you have to start off with pristine evidence to analyze it and secure the information that you're looking for. and the fact of the matter is people are supposed to wear booties on their shoes to protect the scene from contamination. >> they said they simply ran out
2:24am
of them. >> not only didn't, but the removal of the guy who was first on the scene, the lean detective, he's out of there now. the defense is going to have the people that they brought in able to testify. they're the ones who discovered the shell in the toilet area. they're the ones who are going to look like we did this right. the other guys are a bunch of bumbling idiots. >> even though there were mistakes made, don't you think there was enough evidence that we will know a lot more about how this crime unfolded when this case goes to trial? >> no question. the botched crime scene is certainly not good for the prosecution, but it's not fatal to the prosecution's case. when you look at all the evidence, which we haven't heard about yet, there's a lot we don't know. just from what we do know already, the ballistic evidence, the spatter of evidence on a number of items in the bathroom,
2:25am
this is going to be very telling. >> as a defense attorney, what really stood out to you. are there any weaknesses in the defense's case? >> there's always going to be weaknesses in the defense case. >> i understand that. those are problems. but this is a defense lawyer's dream in the way the prosecution has brought this up. not every day is it revealed that the lead dblt faces seven attempted murder counts. then you found he hasn't even looked at the item he's floated out there, trying to create this 'roid rage. he didn't even read the whole word and he didn't test it, we don't have the test results thing. those become irreparable for the prosecution for them to get
2:26am
over. but we don't have a jury. >> stick around, we want to talk about what's next in this case in this dramatic week. plus oscar pistorius is recognized around the world and revered by his fans. how he became a hero to so many and what you may not know about his past. later, all the plans reeva steenkamp had for her future died with her. for her family, it is an incomprehensible loss. you'll hear from her brothers and others when ac: 360 blade runner -- murder or mistake continues. good morning, turtle. ♪ my friends are all around me ♪ my friends, they do surround me ♪ ♪ i hope this never ends ♪ and we'll be the best of friends ♪ [ male announcer ] introducing the reimagined 2013 chevrolet traverse. all set? all set.
2:27am
with spacious seating for up to eight. imagine that. chevrolet. find new roads. new griddle-melts to yourime usual breakfast sandwich. a lot more flavor. [ anouncer ] ihop's new griddle melts... made fresh and hot! hand crafted just for you. it's like a sexy sandwich. [ anouncer ] compare new griddle melts yourself. just $4.99. it's an epic breakfast sandwich. progress-oh! [ female announcer ] with 40 delicious progresso soups at 100 calories or less, there are plenty of reasons people are saying "progress-oh!" share your progress-oh! story on facebook. bjorn earns unlimited rewards for his small business. take these bags to room 12 please. [ garth ] bjorn's small business earns double miles on every purchase every day. produce delivery. [ bjorn ] just put it on my spark card. [ garth ] why settle for less? ahh, oh! [ garth ] great businesses deserve unlimited rewards. here's your wake up call. [ male announcer ] get the spark business card from capital one and earn unlimited rewards.
2:28am
choose double miles or 2% cash back on every purchase every day. what's in your wallet? [ crows ] now where's the snooze button? but with advair, i'm breathing better. so now i can be in the scene. advair is clinically proven to help significantly improve lung function. unlike most copd medications, advair contains both an anti-inflammatory and a long-acting bronchodilator working together to help improve your lung function all day. advair won't replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms and should not be used more than twice a day. people with copd taking advair may have a higher chance of pneumonia. advair may increase your risk of osteoporosis and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking advair. if you're still having difficulty breathing, ask your doctor if including advair could help improve your lung function.
2:29am
get your first full prescription free and save on refills at advaircopd.com.
2:30am
we're back on "anderson cooper 360." oscar pistorius, the blade runner, out on bail due back in court june 4th. i want to talk more about what a trial might look like and why it may never take place. back with the panel. >> all of this kind of paranoia -- it now goes to a junl. there's no jury system there. it has a lot to do with the the makeup of society. help us understand how judges are schooled to deal with cases
2:31am
without the aid of a jury. >> we believe that judges spend their entire working lives being immersed in the law and trained in the law and schooled towards being objective in applying their minds to the law in a neutral way. and that is the safeguard for justice. we also every aspect of our legal system is enviewed with our constitution and our constitutional law. and the constitution itself really was a very collaborative process that is an expression of the people of south africa. in that prospect, they have a voice in the law and an influence in the law, but not in terms of deciding individual cases. >> mark, as you and i talked about, the magistrate commended pistorius for offering this it very, very complete and thorough affidavit. his version of the events for the record.
2:32am
he even said it helped him in making his decision to grant him bail. couldn't that come back to haunt him? >> absolutely. they made the calculated decision. they said this case is infinitely better if he's out and not in for a multitude of reasons. for the lawyer's standpoint, i can't tell you how important it is to have the client out in terms of preparing a case. number one. and number two, i think they felt strongly that they had been out to that scene, even though they haven't, i assume, gone through all of the expert forensic analysis they are going to do, they took a look at the door and have an idea what the ballistics are going to come back to. i think they understand whether or not somebody could have heard screaming or not. so there's a certain amount of that that's probably not going to come back to bite him. there are other things that are problematic if it comes back. the toxicology for instance.
2:33am
>> it's true that there are problems with the prosecution's case. there are problems with the defense case, that's for sure. today it looks like it cries out for a plea bargain. south africa, as i understand it, has an active plea bargaining culture, as do we in the united states. there is culpable homicide out there as a possible compromise from premeditated murder. and given the fact that everybody agrees that pistorius fired the shots that caused the fatal injuries, it just seems to me that now that he's going to be out on bail, the preparations could last a long time, i would not be at all surprised to see this case end in a plea. >> so no trial? >> today or the day before when he made the argument, the defense lawyer, he argued that this is a culpable homicide. so that's almost a telegraphing of, look, this might be
2:34am
something that's acceptable. this may be somewhere this case could end up. >> as a forensics expert, really in his affidavit in his version, it serves as a road map for someone like yourself. >> it was a terrible mistake to write a detailed affidavit. the burden is on the prosecution, not on the defense. he had to say something, but you don't give such great detail because every single part of that affidavit can be verified or not verified by the evidence. the evidence doesn't lie. it's a matter of interpreting it. but clearly if he says he was in one position and the evidence says something different, there goes his credibility. >> i thought exactly the same thing when i read the affidavit. but mark has a point here. that affidavit turned out to be very important in getting him bail. >> that's not the case. >> there's leverage in the case. >> i'm right because i agree
2:35am
with you. >> what do you think is going to be the most important piece of forensic evidence? >> i would think that the ballistics evidence would be crucial here. >> the angle? >> the difference in the story has to do with whether he was wearing his prosthetic legs or not. that would change his height, the position of the gun. there's a lot we can tell with forensics. we can talk about the distance between the muzzle and the door. we can look at the victim. so we have a lot of information about bullet trajectories. so if his story is inconsistent or the angles and the height, if it doesn't connect with what he said, he is in deep, deep trouble. >> in the affidavit he said his put the prosthetics on after the shooting. >> the judge raised a very breasting issue that i think is unresolved at this point. part of the prosecution theory is that she brought her phones into the bathroom because she
2:36am
was scared. she wanted to call for help. but the judge said there was no evidence of whether she did in fact call for help. >> they never checked the cell phones. >> someone will. and that will be significant. >> what's interesting is one of the phones has blood spatter, the other doesn't. that pattern is very crucial. is it it blowback from the gun? is that what we're talking about? did somebody touch it with a transfer of blood? it's crucial to know what kind of pattern. >> so two key statements from the defense, mark. one is that oscar pistorius says that his girlfriend had slipped into the bathroom while he was closing the balcony door. that's why he didn't know she wasn't in the bed. also she had locked the bathroom door only because she heard him yelling there was an intruder in the home. how much weight do those arguments have? >> i don't know that those are going to be the kind of thing
2:37am
that this case turns on. i think whether he was wearing the prosthesis, because all of this feeling vulnerable, shooting and going off is more plausible if he does not have on his legs. >> we'll continue to watch it no doubt. see if it goes to trial or not. jeffrey toobin, mark, kelly, thank you all very much. we have seen oscar pistorius in a new light. a murder suspect in a tragic killing. until now, he was best known as an inspiring athlete who accomplished what no one had before him. how he got from there to here, ahead. the verizon share everything plan for small business. get a shareable pool of data... got enough joshua trees? ... on up to 25 devices. so you can spend less time... yea, the golden barrels... managing wireless costs and technology and more time driving your business potential. looks like we're going to need to order more agaves...
2:38am
ah! oh! ow! ... and more bandages. that's powerful. shareable data plus unlimited talk and text. now save $50 on a droid razr maxx hd by motorola. waiting for your wrinkle cream to work? neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair has the fastest retinol formula. to visibly reduce fine lines and wrinkles in just one week. neutrogena®. i just served my mother-in-law your chicken noodle soup but she loved it so much... i told her it was homemade. everyone tells a little white lie now and then. but now she wants my recipe [ clears his throat ] [ softly ] she's right behind me isn't she? [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup. from capital one... boris earns unlimited rewards for his small business. can i get the smith contract, please? thank you. that's three new paper shredders. [ boris ] put 'em on my spark card. [ garth ] boris' small business earns 2% cash back on every purchase every day. great businesses deserve unlimited rewards.
2:39am
read back the chicken's testimony, please. "buk, buk, bukka!" [ male announcer ] get the spark business card from capital one and earn unlimited rewards. choose 2% cash back or double miles on every purchase every day. told you i'd get half. what's in your wallet?
2:40am
2:41am
many of us watched oscar pistorius make history at the london olympics. a double amputee who changed the way the world sees disabilities. before he reached the olympics, he made his name at the paralympics. here's what he told me about the blade runner when whe talked earlier. >> i'm compete ago long side him. he was an inspiration to me. he went out of his way to help me out and give me insight. i was new to running and he's a
2:42am
veteran to the track and field world. he gave me a lot of information. >> other friends of pistorius and steenkamp have been speaking out this week as well. kevin last saw the couple last month. >> oscar was very loving, happy, by no means was he behaving. he was a good guy. never was he reckless or aggressive towards anyone. when i saw them together, they were in love. oscar was a very loving person. by no means did i think their relationship was in jeopardy. >> tonight those closest to pistorius just like those of us who have never met him are trying to wrap their heads around what's happened here. it's an extraordinary turn in a story that has never been routine. ♪
2:43am
>> oscar pistorius was never like everybody else. >> i was missing the backbone in your leg. >> he was born that way and had both legs amputated at the knee before his first birthday. >> i grew up in a family where disability was never an issue. we didn't really speak about my disability. not because it was a topic that was taboo or we thought -- that's the mentality i have had. >> a mentality that drove him to succeed to walk by 17 months, to overcome the pain of his parent's divorce and later the grief of losing his mother. to race and compete. >> sports have been a big part
2:44am
of my life. we grew up in south africa where most kids enjoy the outdoors. i was never an academic so i had to find something where i enjoyed. from a young age, my mother said to us, sports are about being the best, but it's about giving your best. >> when he smashed his knee playing rug by oscar took up track to help him heal, a decision that would change his life. within the year, he would be his first gold at the paralympic games using cheetah blades, nicknaming him "the blade runner." >> you can see the sense of gravity. it's pretty difficult to balance on. with you're wearing them, if you're standing still, you have to put your foot down the whole time. >> he was becoming a living legend, a hero in a battered nation, a media darling.
2:45am
his story captured worldwide attention. his prosthetics were inspiring to me. but controversial to others. >> i have been a big advocate for fair play. when it comes to the legs i use, they have been made since 1996 and made other pairs. just from a practical point of view, there have never been athletes that run close to the the times i'm running on the 400. >> they were deemed an advantage to him, but it didn't stop him from competing. >> since i started running in 2004, most of my races have been races against able-body athletes. we just have a lot more races every season. i started running the circuit. i missed the olympics in '08 by a quarter of a second. i said if i get this opportunity again, i definitely don't want to miss it. >> that opportunity came at the
2:46am
2012 london olympics. pistorius caused a sensation when his appearance at the games. to some, a symbol of triumph over adversity. and his star kept rising. pistorius picked up prime sponsorships from major brands like nike. >> i have that addiction to perfection when i'm off the track as well. >> who featured him in this 2011 ad with the slogan "i am the bullet in the chamber." >> this is my weapon. this is how i fight. >> now nike is suspending their relationship with him. pistorius' fame and success made him a role model for all people. >> east done well and everybody is proud of him. >> being an international sportsman, there's a lot of responsibility that comes with it. remembering that there are kids out there that look up to you is definitely something you need to
2:47am
keep in the back of your mind. >> pistorius had his fans, but also had his critics. he was known for having a quick temper, but friends and family say that didn't mean he would ever hurt anyone, especially not his girlfriend reeva steenkamp. >> when i saw them, they were really in love. oscar was a loving person as well as reeva. by no means did i think their relationship was in jeopardy. they were very loving. it's very sad because it was a big shock to us to hear what happened. >> pistorius used to say his life was a blessing. he was able to overcome his disability and prove himself on the field over and over again until there was no doubt about his abilities. whether he can prove himself again is the question. >> coming up, friends and family try to cope with the loss of reeva steenkamp.
2:48am
we'll take a closer look at who reeva was and hear from her family members when our special hour continues. right. but the most important feature of all is... the capital one purchase eraser. i can redeem the double miles i earned with my venture card to erase recent travel purchases. and with a few clicks, this mission never happened. uh, what's this button do? [ electricity zaps ] ♪ you requested backup? yes. yes i did. what's in your wallet? has oats that can help lower cholesterol? and it tastes good? sure does! wow. it's the honey, it makes it taste so... well, would you look at the time... what's the rush? be happy. be healthy. new griddle-melts to yourime usual breakfast sandwich. it doesn't seem like fast food. there's a lot of substance, it just seems really fresh.
2:49am
there's like a lot more flavor. [ anouncer ] ihop is building our best breakfast sandwiches ever. new griddle-melts made fresh and hot. hand crafted just for you. it's like a sexy sandwich. i love this crispy bread... ...the roasted red peppers. it's awesome. [ anouncer ] compare new griddle melts yourself. just $4.99 at ihop. this is an epic breakfast sandwich. [ anouncer ] ihop. everything you love about breakfast. you want that don't you? a regular guy with an irregular heartbeat. the usual, bob? not today.
2:50am
[ male announcer ] bob has afib: atrial fibrillation not caused by a heart valve problem, a condition that puts him at greater risk for a stroke. [ gps ] turn left. i don't think so. [ male announcer ] for years, bob took warfarin, and made a monthly trip to the clinic to get his blood tested. but not anymore. bob's doctor recommended a different option: once-a-day xarelto®. xarelto® is the first and only once-a-day prescription blood thinner for patients with afib not caused by a heart valve problem, that doesn't require routine blood monitoring. like warfarin, xarelto® is proven effective to reduce the risk of an afib-related stroke. there is limited data on how these drugs compare when warfarin is well managed. no routine blood monitoring means bob can spend his extra time however he likes. new zealand! xarelto® is just one pill a day, taken with the evening meal. and with no dietary restrictions, bob can eat the healthy foods he likes. do not stop taking xarelto® rivaroxaban without talking to the doctor who prescribes it for you.
2:51am
stopping may increase your risk of having a stroke. get medical help right away if you develop any signs or symptoms of bleeding, like unusual bruising or tingling. you may have a higher risk of bleeding if you take xarelto® with aspirin products, nsaids or blood thinners. talk to your doctor before taking xarelto® if you currently have abnormal bleeding. xarelto® can cause bleeding, which can be serious, and rarely may lead to death. you are likely to bruise more easily on xarelto®,
2:52am
2:53am
anch bishop of south padolo. luis tagle, the archbishop of manila. said to be close to pope benedict. at 55 he could be considered too
2:54am
young to be pope. cardinal peter turkson of ghana is said to be africa's top candidate. he is 64 years old and head of the vatican justice and if chosen he would become the first modern black pope. well, there is speculation that the next pope may be selected from latin america, home, as i said, to the largest number of catholics in the world. we're joined now by miguel diaz who served as the first hispanic u.s. ambassador to the vatican. sir, we thank you for joining us here in rome. what is a fairly cold morning. we are waiting behind me at the vatican pope benedict xvi, give his final blessing of his papacy as he says the angelous prayer. we will hear the bells ring. in about five or six minutes' time, before that happens, let's
2:55am
just talk about what happens next. who do you see as most likely to become pope before one assumes t the sunday this march? >> greetings from dayton, to the eternal city. thank you for having me this morning. you know, i've said that what we need to be thinking is not so much about specific regions or about specific populations or the kind of qualities and characteristics that the church needs in a leader today. and, again, and again, you know, i believe that the church needs first and foremost a pastor that is able to, you know, to deal with the suffering, the divisions and the polar ruization that exists. secondly, the church needs a
2:56am
diplomat. a diplomat that will be able to address the globalized world that we live in. the human differences that accompany this world and the different kind of gifts and challenges that are presented today. and, third, you know, the next leader that the church needs is an administrator who can manage the goods of the household and can tap into the abundant gifts that exist in this church and exists within society in men and women of good will. >> how likely is it that any new pope will have a different sense of where the catholic church stands. for example, on abortion, on divorce, on homosexualty, birth control, the role of women in the church. benedict xvi was seen as way back when in the 1960s as quite a sort of modern thing, but
2:57am
ended up in this papacy as a very conservative pope. what is the likelihood of somebody new with a new thought and new ideas? >> there are certain issues that have to do with catholic theology that pertain to catholic belief and it's affirmation of both the dignity of both human persons. regardless of where the church and its pastors and theologians come on this issue is what we need to recognize the great diversity of opinion and there is a need to engage this diversity. so, i think that we shouldn't expect that the next leader is all of a sudden going to change perspective on particular issues or particular arguments but i think certainly there is a great possibility that one can hope
2:58am
for continual engagement with the world and with people of different faiths and of no faith at all. in order to come together and tackle some of these challenges. in a way that is human in a way that humanizes us all and in a way that addresses, again, the challenges that are common to us all. >> we thank you for that as we look at live pictures coming to you from the vatican. benedict xvi preparing to stay down the now thousands in st. peter's square for his final blessing. he'll pray the last angelous of his pontificate. we'll take a very short break back, after this. [ lane ] are you growing old
2:59am
waiting for your wrinkle cream to work? neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair has the fastest retinol formula. to visibly reduce fine lines and wrinkles in just one week. neutrogena®. progress-oh! [ female announcer ] with 40 delicious progresso soups at 100 calories or less, there are plenty of reasons people are saying "progress-oh!" share your progress-oh! story on facebook. bjorn earns unlimited rewards for his small business. take these bags to room 12 please. [ garth ] bjorn's small business earns double miles on every purchase every day. produce delivery.